Amazon, Inc. recently acquired tech startup Shoefitr, Inc. Shoefitr, Inc. started in 2010 and based in Pittsburgh, is an online fitting platform that shows customers how a shoe fits and recommends a shoe size. Shoefitr uses 3D technology which scans the inside of a shoe and tells shoppers how a particular shoe will fit and recommends the best fit. Shoppers are also able enter in a particular shoe and the technology can recommend shoes with a similar fit.
Last week I went to London and Paris for a bit of a winter break. Anyone who knows me is very aware (and perhaps also the customs officer who took note of my previous stamps from Paris) that I adore Paris. It’s one of my favorite cities in the world. I love to wander around the city and take in all that it has to offer – which of course includes great food and shopping. This visit was no different. I went to some of my favorite shops and Italian restaurant in Le Marais.
This visit I also had the opportunity to visit the Francesco Russo salon. If you have been reading any of my posts lately, you know that I am crushing really hard on his shoe designs right now. My heart sank a little when I arrived at the shop with my girlfriend only to see a “Be back in 30 minutes” note in the window. It was almost 4:00 in the afternoon, so we decided to grab a late lunch and return because not visiting the salon was not an option. In hindsight, it was probably best that we had a rest and fueled up a bit because I certainly needed all of my strength for all of the awesomeness that awaited me.
While I love to watch the Red Carpet and see all of the looks I am always dismayed at the inability to see shoes. When I saw that E! News had a stiletto cam on the red carpet I had high hopes that I would get to see more shoes but alas not many of the celebs actually used it. Here are some of my favorite shoe looks that I was able to see.
Jennifer Lopez – Stuart Weitzman Nudist Sandals
Jennifer Lopez never disappoints on the red carpet. Her Stuart Weitzman Nudist Sandals were a perfect complement to her uber sexy Zuhair Murad cape gown.
Sienna Miller – Jimmy Choo “Claudette” Sandals
I loved Sienna Miller’s ethereal Miu Miu gown which was paired quite nicely with Jimmy Choo Claudette sandals.
Source: Getty Images
Emma Stone – Christian Louboutin “Iriza” Pumps
Source: Getty Images
Emma Stone bucked the red carpet trend and wore a Lanvin jumpsuit instead of a gown. The jumpsuit paired with a pair of black Christian Louboutin “Iriza” pumps was fun, flirty and a reflection of Stone’s personality.
Jessica Chastain – Jimmy Choo “Patsy” Sandals
Source: Getty Images
Jessica Chastain brought the vixen last night. She always looks great on the red carpet but last night was different to me for some reason. Her plunging Versace gown paired with Jimmy Choo “Patsy” sandals and a dark eye makeup gave her an edgier look than we are used to seeing.
Kerry Washington – Christian Louboutin “Miss Rigidaine” Pumps
Source: Getty Images
While I was not a fan of Kerry Washington’s Mary Kantranzou dress last night. I did love the Christian Louboutin “Miss Rigidaine” pumps she paired with the dress. The shoes are a perfect mix of patent leather and pink perspirex.
On Monday, the rumor bill was buzzing that Coach, Inc. was going to acquire luxury footwear brand Stuart Weitzman. Coach formally announced the acquisition of Stuart Weitzman from Sycamore Partners in a deal valued up to $574 million yesterday.
Source: Stuart Weitzman
The views from industry experts seem to be mixed as to whether this is actually a good deal or not but I think most are focusing on the deal from Coach’s perspective and the potential benefits to Coach. And rightfully so, since the handbag maker has been struggling over the last few years to find its footing given increased competition from the likes of Michael Kors and Tory Burch. Stuart Weitzman, most noted for its Nudist sandal that was a fixture on the red carpet in 2014, is a strong brand that has great potential to expand and improve its product line. Stuart Weitzman may not be a savior for Coach but Coach’s footwear business will likely benefit from the knowledge it gains about Stuart Weitzman’s successful wholesale business.
As everyone settles down and makes all kinds of New Year’s resolutions mostly around losing weight and getting fit, I thought maybe I should make some shoe resolutions this year. I have never done shoe resolutions before but in past years they probably would have centered around just buying more shoes. So here goes, here are my shoe resolutions for 2015:
1. Add more colorful shoes to my collection. I can’t tell you how many variations of black shoes that I have. Exotics, pony hair, patent leather, wedges, flats…you name I got it. I think these Charlotte Olympia mariachi pumps would be a perfect choice.
2. Finally buy a pair of Valentino rock stud pumps. I have wanted a pair forever but have not been able to pull the trigger and the reason just seems silly now. I haven’t been able to decide on what color to get so I haven’t purchased a pair. So in 2015, I will bite the bullet and add a pair to my collection.
3. Attempt to wear all of the shoes in my closet. Last year I made a resolution to wear everything in my closet before buying something new and it worked until maybe March but still it worked. So this year I vow to try to wear all of the shoes in my closet. I can’t promise that I won’t buy a pair before wearing them all especially since some of the shoes are more appropriate for spring and summer weather. I like to think I have an awesome collection of shoes but sometimes I find I wear the same shoes over and over again. I think I am going to start with these Alaïa suede cutout sandals. I just need a party to wear them to…hint, hint.
4. Purge. So like all great love affairs, love affairs with shoes also come to an end. It doesn’t matter the reason. So this year, I promise myself to purge all of the shoes in my closet that I am not really in love with anymore. Some of them will be sold on eBay. Some will be donated to Dress for Success and to some lovely young ladies around prom time. This way I can make room for new loves to enter my life.
5. Buy more. After I am finished purging, there will be room in my closet so obviously I will need to fill it. Besides, you can’t really go wrong with this resolution especially if the shoe fits and its on sale. Its your duty to just buy it.
So, tell me what are your shoe resolutions for 2015?
Paul Andrew took home the top prize at the 2014 CFDA/Vogue Fund awards last night. He launched his footwear line with his Spring 2013 Collection. The response to his shoes in just two short years has been nothing short of amazing. They have become a regular on the red carpet gracing the feet of celebs like Lupita Nyongo, Poppy Delevigne and Victoria Beckham to name my few. Winning the CFDA/Vogue prize proves that he is a creative force to be reckoned with in the footwear arena. The CFDA/Vogue prize was instrumental in catapulting the careers of Alexander Wang and Joseph Altuzarra so it will be interesting to watch Paul Andrew’s trajectory. Congratulations again to Paul Andrew!